Chef Myron Mixon’s Smoked Turkey
TURKEY BRINE INGREDIENTS & PREPARATION::
- 11-14lb bird
- 2 gallons water
- 1 1/2 cups Hickory salt
- 1 cup white sugar.
- Mix and submerge turkey in brine. Refrigerate and brine overnight or at least 8 hours.
TURKEY RUB INGREDIENTS & PREPARATION:
- Sweet and Smoky Rub
- 1/8 cup salt
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp of smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Rub turkey before cooking…sprinkle rub on turkey, after cooking is done.
SET GRILL TO 250 DEGREES, FOR A 12-14 LB. TURKEY. PUT FOIL-COVERED ALUMINUM TRAY WITH SOAKED HICKORY WOOD CHIPS (SOAK OVERNIGHT) ON GRILL AND GRILL TURKEY FOR 4-5 HOURS. CHECK TEMPERATURE OF TURKEY, INTERMITTENTLY, TO ENSURE TURKEY IS FULLY COOKED BEFORE REMOVING FROM GRILL.
SET OVEN TO 275 DEGREES, FOR A 12-14 LB. TURKEY. COOK IN THE OVEN FOR 4-5 HOURS. CHECK TEMPERATURE OF TURKEY, INTERMITTENTLY, TO ENSURE TURKEY IS FULLY COOKED BEFORE REMOVING FROM OVEN. DO NOT USE THE WOOD CHIPS IN THE OVEN!
Kelly Ripa's Cauliflower Gratin
- 2 heads of Cauliflower
- 1¼ Cup of Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tbsp. butter (+ extra for greasing your pan)
- ¼ Cup of Flour
- 2 Cups of Milk
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg or less to taste (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cut up Cauliflower.
Bring a pot of water with 1½ tablespoons of salt to a boil.
Add Cauliflower and cook until it’s tender, about 10 minutes. (Don’t overcook)
While cauliflower is cooking, lightly butter a baking dish.
In a sauce pan, melt 2 tbsp. butter and slowly whisk in flour for about a minute to make a roux.
Slowly whisk in milk followed by nutmeg, ½ tsp salt and pepper to a smooth consistency.
Add 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and stir until well combined. Add cauliflower, mix well and pour it in to the baking dish.
Sprinkle ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese on top of cauliflower gratin and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
DONATELLA & LELLO ARPAIA’S THANKSGIVING MUSHROOM & SAUSAGE RICE STUFFING
- 1½ cup wild rice
- 1 ½ cup Arborio rice
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 stalks of celery, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Container of mixed gourmet mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 ½ pound sweet Italian sausage casing removed
- 2 eggs
- 4-6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Bay leaf
1.In a large saucepan, heat chicken stock with a small onion, bay leaf and 1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt, add wild rice. Cover and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender, about 1 hour; add a little water during cooking if necessary.
2.Cook Arborio rice in chicken stock according to instruction on box, set aside.
3.In a large nonstick skillet, brown the sausage meat over moderate heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
4.Heat 2 tablespoon of the olive oil in the skillet. Add the onions, celery and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat stirring often, until translucent.
5.Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the skillet. Add the chopped mixed mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring, until softened and browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add mushrooms to the onion mixture. Stir in the wild rice, Arborio rice and sausage and season again with salt and pepper. Combine all together, add parsley, crack a raw egg and stir to bind together.
6.Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cover the dish with foil and bake the stuffing for about 20 minutes, until heated through or if you wish to make ahead:
7.The recipe can be prepared to Step 4 up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Let return to room temperature before baking.
Michael Gelman’s Sweet Potato Coconut Cilantro Mash Recipe
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbl. Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 14 oz coconut milk - full fat (as needed)
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Fresh Cilantro minced
In a large pot of boiling water add sweet potatoes and cook until tender.
In a sauté pan on medium heat, add olive oil and garlic, sauté until soft about 3 minutes
In a large bowl add cooked sweet potatoes, saluted garlic and oil, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
With a hand masher start breaking up potatoes adding coconut milk as needed until potatoes are smooth but nice and chunky.
Fold in chopped cilantro to taste.
Michael Gelman’s Cranberry Apple Relish Recipe
- 3 cups fresh cranberries washed and drained
- 1 orange zested and peeled and segmented
- ½ cup Sweet red wine or concord grape juice
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 cup granny smith apples peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey as needed for sweetness
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
Place cranberries, orange zest and orange segments sweet wine, walnuts, ginger, lemon juice and apple into food processor bowl. Pulse until the right consistency then add honey to taste. Let it marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
Connie Seacrest’s Fudge Bottom Ice Cream Dessert Recipe
(RECIPE CONTAINS RAW EGGS)
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 qt. Chocolate Mint Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup Nestle Chocolate Chips (6oz.)
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Step 1: Combine graham cracker crumbs and 1/3 melted butter and then press into bottom of a 9x 13" pan.
Step 2: Melt chocolate chips, add 3/4 c. butter & cool.
Step 3: Add powdered sugar and slightly beaten egg yolks. Whisk the yolks.
Step 4: Beat egg whites until fluffy and fold into chocolate mixture.
Step 5: Spread on top of crumb mixture and freeze for 2 or 3 hr.
Step 6: Soften ice cream and then spread on top of chocolate mixture.
Step 7: Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top.
Final Step: Return to freezer until ice cream is set again.
Can be made a few days before you want to serve.
Let cool in pan- then remove & enjoy :)