Angie Riley’s Grandma’s Sweet Corn Pudding Recipe
• 2 cups corn kernels…canned, fresh or thawed frozen
• 2 cups heavy cream
• 1 cup milk
• 1/3 cup sugar
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 4 large egg yolks
• 2 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg and more to sprinkle on top
1. Combine the corn, cream, milk, sugar and salt, in a large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, whisk often. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a baking dish Combine the eggs and egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk. Then whisk in a teaspoon of vanilla and ½ teaspoon nutmeg until combined and frothy. Slowly add the warm milk mixture to the eggs, stirring until blended. Transfer to your baking dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg on top.
3. Pour hot water into a roasting pan to create a water bath for your baking dish. The water should come about halfway up the sides of your baking dish.
4. Bake for 45 minutes or until the corn custard is just set.
Hint: Cover the outside of your baking dish with aluminum foil to protect your dish from a water line.
Hint: For a spicy version, skip the vanilla and the nutmeg and replace them with:
1 jalapeno, stem and seeds removed and diced finely
½ teaspoon ground red pepper