Cardamom-Spiced Pear Noodle Kugel
YIELD: SERVES 10 TO 12
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 50 MINUTES
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups full-fat cottage cheese
1 cup full-fat sour cream
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
6 large eggs
12 ounces dried wide egg noodles
4 medium Anjou pears, cored and coarsely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring continuously, until browned and nutty in aroma, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and let cool slightly.
3. Pour the brown butter into a blender and add the cottage cheese, sour cream, brown sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, cardamom, and eggs. Blend until smooth.
4. Add the egg noodles to the boiling water and cook until al dente, 4 to 5 minutes, then drain and transfer to a large bowl.
5. Add the egg mixture and the pears to the bowl with the noodles and toss to combine. Pour the mixture into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and spread it into an even layer.
6. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the kugel is golden brown and set. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then serve warm.