< Back To All Recipes
Chef Carla Pallotta’s Sausage, Vinegar Peppers & Onion Sandwich
- 1/2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 lbs. Italian Sausage (1 lb. sweet, 1lb hot) cut in half
- 1-32 ounce Italian Vinegar Peppers (I make homemade but you can use Pastene)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- Small French rolls or spuckies.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1/2 of the olive oil.
- Add the cut sausages and cook on medium heat.
- Remove the peppers from the jar and tear into 2 to 3-inch pieces. Save the juice from the peppers.
- Add the peppers to the sausages.
- Continue to cook until the sausages are browned on the outside and peppers are starting to blister.
- Half way through add 1/2 of the vinegar pepper juice to the pan.
- Stir during cooking if necessary to make sure that all ingredients are cooking evenly.
- Meanwhile in another sauté pan, heat the rest of the oil and add sliced onions. spread evenly over pan and let it sit until golden on one side. (Do not move onions)
- Using a tong, flip onions over to brown on other side.
- When onions are golden, add to the sausage pan and continue to cook until sausages are cooked through. Add more pepper juice if necessary.
- Serve on rolls adding some of the flavored oil to the bottom of the roll, before topping with sausage peppers and onions.