Chef Chris Valdes’ Guava and Cream Cheese Empanadas
1 (21 oz) Guava Paste
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
1 pack of 10 empanada dough discos
1 large egg
1. Preheat the oven to 375 °F degrees.
2. Cut the guava paste and cream cheese into small slices, just large enough to fill your empanadas.
3. Beat the egg for egg wash.
4. To assemble, lay one empanada disco on a plate. Layer one slice of each (guava and cream cheese). Brush inside the edge of the empanada dough with egg wash. Fold, seal, crimp edges with a fork, and set on a plate, repeat until you have used all the empanada dough disks.
5. Place empanadas on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 min or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve warm.