Family recipe…In French it’s called “pain perdu” (which means lost bread…because you use a piece of old or stale bread to make it)!
Stale or day old bread
Egg - whisked
Rehydrate a slice or two of the bread with some milk.
Then, using a spoon, pour over the beaten egg on one side, followed with a sprinkling of sugar.
Melt some butter in a hot pan and add the bread…egg and sugar side down.
Add egg and sugar to the topside.
Cook both sides.
When nicely catapulted, colored and crunchy, plate and serve!
How City Harvest is helping New Yorker’s during this crisis:
• City Harvest is New York City’s largest food rescue organization and private response to hunger, helping to feed the millions of New Yorkers struggling to make ends meet year-round.
• Since the start of the COVID-19 crisis, City Harvest has scaled up its operations dramatically to meet the overwhelming need. New Yorkers who have never before needed food assistance, are now turning to soup kitchens and food pantries to help feed themselves and their families.
• City Harvest’s trucks are on the road every day rescuing and delivering millions of pounds of food to help feed New Yorkers in need.
• We know that the effects of this crisis will stay with us long after the virus stops spreading. City Harvest is here for the long-haul and is dedicated to feeding everyone who was relying on us before the pandemic, along with the many more New Yorkers who are turning and will continue to turn to us for help in the uncertain weeks and months ahead.
• To support City Harvest, visit cityharvest.org