Emeril Lagasse’s Hot Crab and Crawfish Pasta
- 3/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 habanero peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/2 pound linguine
- kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
- 12 ounces cooked crawfish tails
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
*Emeril's Original Essence, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
For the Emeril's Essence/Creole Seasoning:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a medium sauté pan, heat 1/4 cup of the vegetable oil and add the red bell pepper, jalapeños, and habaneros. Cook, stirring until soft, about 2 minutes. Transfer peppers and remaining vegetable oil to a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
In a large saucepan, cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain pasta in a colander and set aside. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.
In a large (14-inch) sauté pan, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the chili oil and sauté the shallots and garlic until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the wine, crawfish, 1 tablespoon of the parsley and 1 tablespoon of the chives and cook, stirring, until wine is nearly evaporated, about 30 seconds. Season the crawfish mixture with Essence and salt to taste. Add the heavy cream and cook until reduced to a consistency thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the crabmeat and parmesan cheese to the cream sauce and stir to blend. Add the drained pasta and cook, tossing to thoroughly combine, until pasta is warmed through. (Add a bit of the reserved pasta cooking water if necessary to thin sauce). Taste and adjust seasoning with more Essence, chili oil, and salt to taste.
Serve pasta in shallow wide pasta bowls, garnished with parsley and chives. Drizzle the hot chili oil around the perimeter of the pasta and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
For Essense/Creole Seasoning:
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.