Erin Gresh’s Shrimp Stuffed Turkey Burger on Cauliflower Steaks
Heirloom tomato slices
1 recipe melted feta & tahini sauce Arugula*
6-8 shrimp-stuffed turkey burgers**
*For Melted Feta and Tahini Sauce:
1/4 cup tahini 1 cup water
divided 3/4 cup feta
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
**For the Grilled Shrimp-Stuffed Turkey Burgers and Cauliflower Steaks:
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Greek yogurt
6-8 frozen cooked shrimp, thawed & tails removed
2-3 cauliflower heads, sliced into steaks
Directions for Melted Feta and Tahini Sauce:
1. On medium-low heat, put tahini, 3/4 cup water, and feta in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
2. Once some of the feta has melted, add the remaining 1/4 cup water, salt, and black pepper.
3. Continue simmering and stirring the sauce until nearly all of the feta has melted and enough water has evaporated to reach your desired consistency, then enjoy!
Directions for the Grilled Shrimp-Stuffed Turkey Burgers and Cauliflower Steaks:
1. Prepare grill: heat to 450° F and grease the grill grates.
2. Obtain 2 trays; one designated for raw meat and lined with either tin foil or parchment paper and the other designated for the cooked burgers.
3. In a large bowl, mix together ground turkey, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic granules, bread crumbs, olive oil, and Greek yogurt just until all ingredients are evenly distributed. (It’s important not to overmix here, as it can make the burgers drier and tougher after grilling).
4. On the tray designated for raw meat, place about a 1/4-1/3 cup of the turkey mixture and flatten.
5. Place 1 shrimp in the middle of the flattened turkey patty, then completely cover with another layer of turkey meat.
6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 until all of the meat has been used up.
7. Grill the burgers: place the burgers on the grill and cook with the lid down for about 8-10 mins on each side.
8. Meanwhile, drizzle olive oil on both sides of the cauliflower steaks and grill for about 8-10 mins on each side, or until each side is browned and the steaks are tender. Then, remove from grill and place on a clean tray.
9. When the burgers are fully cooked, remove from grill and place on tray designated for cooked burgers.
1.Place 1 cauliflower steak on a plate.
2. Top with 1 heirloom tomato slice.
3. Top with 1 shrimp-stuffed turkey burger.
4. Cover with desired amount of melted feta & tahini sauce
5. Garnish with arugula on top
6. Optional: top with a second cauliflower steak if desired.