Gelman Family Chocolate Cake
Ingredients for cake:
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1 c semi sweet chocolate chips
Ingredients for icing:
1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
2/3 cup Cocoa powder
3 to 3 ½ cups powdered sugar 10x
1/3 cup milk plus more as needed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions for cake:
1. preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 nine inch cake pans
2. combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
3. In a medium bowl mix eggs milk, oil and vanilla
4. combine flour and egg mixtures, then beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes.
5. Stir in boiling water
6. Fold in chocolate chips
7. Pour batter into prepared pans.
8. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
9. Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan and cool completely on wire racks
Directions for icing:
1. combined melted butter and cocoa.
2. beat in powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until fluffy. Carefully add a small amount of milk if too stiff or more 10x sugar if too runny