Jodi Taffel’s BLT Skewers
1 pound Slab Bacon, cured and smoked
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Smoked Paprika
2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
2 tablespoons Minced Dried Onion
2 tablespoons Salt, divided
2 tablespoon Cracked Black Pepper, divided
1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
12 Bamboo Skewers, 8 inches long
2 Leeks, cleaned and patted dry
12 ripe Grape Tomatoes
1/4 cup Olive Oil
6 tablespoons Maple Syrup
2 tablespoons Clover Honey
2 tablespoons Bourbon
1 teaspoon Louisiana Hot Sauce
1. Pre-heat gas grill to 425 degrees.
2. Cut slab bacon into 24 evenly sized cubes. (approx. 1 inch square)
3. Combine brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, minced dried onion, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper & red pepper flakes together in a bowl.
4. Dredge each cube of bacon in the dry rub, making sure to coat them completely, and set aside.
5. Slice leeks into 12 rounds, 1 inch thick.
6. Coat leeks and grape tomatoes with the olive oil and remaining salt & pepper.
7. Skewer 1 cube of bacon, 1 leek round (the long way, so as to keep it from falling apart as it cooks), 1 grape tomato and 1 more cube of bacon. Repeat with the remaining 11 skewers.
8. Place on the grill, about 1/2 an inch apart. Close lid and cook 30 minutes.
9. Add the remaining ingredients to the remaining dry rub and whisk to combine.
10. After 30 minutes, paint the skewers with the glaze and grill an additional 10 minutes.