Julia Collin Davison’s Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
Serves 4 to 6
• ¼ cup coconut oil
• ½ cup hot sauce
• 1 tablespoon packed organic dark brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
• 1-2 quarts peanut or vegetable oil
• ¾ cup cornstarch
• ¼ cup cornmeal
• Salt and pepper
• ⅔ cup canned coconut milk
• 1 tablespoon hot sauce
• 1 pound cauliflower florets, cut into 1½-inch pieces
• 1 recipe Vegan Ranch Dressing*
*VEGAN RANCH DRESSING:
1/2 C plant-based or egg-based mayo
2 T plain plant-based yogurt
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp minced chives
1 1/2 tsp dill
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
whisk together and serve
1. For the buffalo sauce: Melt coconut oil in small saucepan over low heat. Whisk in hot sauce, sugar, and vinegar until combined. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm; set aside.
2. For the cauliflower: Line platter with triple layer of paper towels. Add oil to large fryer or Dutch oven until it measures about 1½ inches deep and heat over medium-high heat to 400 degrees.
3. While oil heats, combine cornstarch, cornmeal, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in small bowl. Whisk coconut milk and hot sauce together in large bowl. Add cauliflower to coconut milk mixture and toss to coat well. Sprinkle cornstarch mixture over cauliflower and fold with rubber spatula until cauliflower is thoroughly coated.
4. Fry half of cauliflower, adding 1 or 2 pieces to oil at a time, until golden and crispy, gently stirring as needed to prevent pieces from sticking together, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer fried cauliflower to prepared platter.
5. Return oil to 400 degrees and repeat with remaining cauliflower.
6. Transfer ½ cup sauce to clean large bowl, add fried cauliflower, and gently toss to coat. Serve immediately with remaining sauce and dressing.