Maria Loi’s Prassini Soupa – Green Soup
3 cups of ice cubes
1 lb. collard greens, stems removed, chopped
1 lb. green Swiss chard, stems removed, chopped
1 lb. green kale, any tough stems trimmed
1 lb. spinach, any tough stems trimmed
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
Lemon juice, to taste, plus more for garnish
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. In a large stock pot over low heat, add 3 cups of ice, and add the greens to the pot, pushing them down until they all fit. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt, and cover the pot.
2. Allow the greens to cook covered on low heat, stirring occasionally and checking to make sure the water levels are rising. Cook for approximately 1 hour, until all the greens are super tender.
3. Remove soup from the heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and puree in the pot with an immersion blender until smooth, or in a regular blender in batches (and return it to the pot).
4. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Taste and add more lemon juice, salt, and olive oil as desired. Season with black pepper to taste. Garnish each bowl of soup with a drizzle of olive oil, and half a lemon.
• To make ahead, prepare the soup, cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Season with lemon and olive oil just before serving.
• Add whatever green vegetables you like, including herbs, but make sure you always include spinach!
• Add pasta, rice, or other grains (like farro or quinoa) to the soup
• To make it a bit creamier, stir in a spoonful of full fat Greek yogurt, or serve with some Feta cheese.
• Serve with filet of fish or seafood of choice
• Serve with chicken breast or any other animal protein desired