Rhoda Gelman’s Apple Pancakes
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 granny smith apples (peeled and sliced thin)
1. In a mixing bowl, add flour, milk, vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
2. In another bowl, mix the brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon
3. Add butter to a large skillet and put in the oven set at 400 degrees.
4. When the butter melts completely, remove from oven.
5. Pour the batter into the buttered skillet and put back in the oven for 20-25 minutes. *The sides will begin to puff.
6. Remove the partially cooked batter from the oven and add the apple mixture to it.
7. Layer the apples all over the top of the batter.
8. Cover the whole surface with the brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon blend and put it back in the oven. Bake for another 20-25 minutes.