Tracy Heibeck’s Stuffed Blue Hubbard Squash
- 1 five-pound (or larger) blue hubbard squash
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 3-4 large tart apples (e.g., Granny Smith), diced
- 1/2 - 1 cup dried cranberries, depending on taste
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 - 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1. Scrub the squash and cut in half, removing the seeds and interior strings.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet, add diced onion and celery and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add diced apples, cranberries, brown sugar, nuts and spices, stirring until well mixed. Cook this mixture for an additional 3-5 minutes.
4. With the bottom half of the squash on a large baking sheet, spoon the mixture into the cavity.
5. Place the other half on top and bake the entire squash in a 350 F oven until tender (when a knife or fork can easily pierce the squash), about 1- 1 1/2 hours.
Notes: Depending on the size of your squash (and they can grow quite large!) a kitchen knife may be inadequate for cutting the squash in half. Have a saw handy, just in case.