Truckin’ Amazing Cook-off: The Treats Truck Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups smooth peanut butter (without added sugar)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
These peanut butter cookies are delicious, and this is the best peanut butter recipe and one of the simplest! Also, it's gluten-free, which is great for those people with wheat restrictions. But most of our customers love them purely for their peanut buttery goodness, especially when they're made into peanut butter sandwich cookies!
Makes 2 1/2 to 3 dozen cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine the eggs and vanilla. Set aside.
3. Place the peanut butter in a large bowl and pour in the egg-vanilla mixture. Stir with a sturdy spoon or mix with your hands (really, it's a great technique!) until combined.
4. Add the sugar and salt and mix well.
5. Scoop the dough with a spoon and roll it into balls with your hands. The size of the scoop of dough is up to you, depending on the size cookies you prefer (the dough
doesn't spread too much). Place the balls 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Pat the balls flat and use a fork to make crosshatch marks on the top of each cookie.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the centers look as light and baked as the edges. Cool completely before removing from the cookie sheet with a spatula.
PEANUT BUTTER FILLING:
1/2 to 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 cup Smooth Peanut Butter (no sugar added)
Makes about 1 1/4 cups
Put the brown sugar in a bowl and mash it with a fork to remove any lumps. Add the peanut butter and mix well with a sturdy spoon or your hands (I know! but just try it, you might like it!) Store in a covered container in
the fridge until ready to use. This filling keeps very well and can be used over a few weeks.
NOTE: Equal parts peanut butter and sugar is great, and so is 1 part sugar to 2 parts peanut butter. See which you like best!
TO ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICH COOKIES:
With a spoon or your fingers, scoop a spoonful of peanut butter filling and place it on the underside of a cookie. I like to use my hands to make a little peanut butter patty, as if I were making a little hamburger on a bun. If you want to make a pb&j, spread jam on the other cookie and put them together to make a pb&j sandwich cookie. You can make peanut butter filled peanut butter cookies, pb&J or pb&chocolate!
2 cups semi sweet chocolate (chips or chopped chocolate)
3/4 to 1 cup heavy cream
NOTE: You can make a smaller amount if you are making all three kinds of sandwiches cookies out of one batch!
Just melt the chocolate and heavy cream together on low heat on the stove in a saucepan or double boiler. You can make it thicker or thinner by adding more chocolate or more cream. It should be pretty thick.