Wendy Bazilian’s Banana White Bean and Walnut Muffins
1 cup white beans, drained and rinsed
2 over-ripe medium bananas
1/3-/1/2 cup brown sugar (depending on your preference; 1/3 cup is lighter sweetness)
1/4 cup Greek yogurt (regular yogurt works well, too)
1/8 cup olive or canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
Prep time:10 minutes
Cook time:25 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In a food processor, add beans and 1-2 tablespoons water and puree. Then add bananas, eggs, brown sugar, yogurt, oil and vanilla. Puree until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger. Stir to evenly combine. Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until integrated into a thicker batter. Don't overmix.
4. Fold in walnuts.
5. Spoon batter into oiled regular-sized muffin cups and top with a few walnut pieces.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until done.
7. Enjoy as a delicious plant protein- and fiber-rich part of breakfast or as a snack.