Wendy Bazilian’s Mixed Berry Cast Iron Crumble
6-7 cups of mixed berries (up to a maximum of half as quartered strawberries for best result)
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 Tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (or half all-purpose, half whole wheat)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup rolled oats (not steel cut)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces or grated
FOR THE BERRIES:
• Butter a 10-12 inch cast iron skillet. (I usually make the crumble topping first and use the wrapper from the butter to oil the skillet.)
• In a large bowl, add sugar, ginger and cornstarch or tapioca flour and stir well.
• Then add the berries and toss together to coat evenly.
• Pour berry mixture into the cast iron pan. It will cook down, so it can be full.
FOR THE TOPPING:
• Combine all ingredients except butter and stir well.
• Cut the butter into the mixture with two forks or a pastry tool until integrated and crumbly.
• Spread on top of the berry mixture.
• Bake uncovered on the grill for 20-25 minutes on a medium heat until topping is golden brown.